Young Children’s Division
Our young children’s program has been carefully designed to nurture the young child’s natural desire to dance. Our curriculum is presented in a fun and entertaining way that enhances coordination, musicality, and creative ability.
- Pre-Ballet & Tap (3-4yrs) - the syllabus for this level covers stretching, basic strengthening, balance, motor skills, and coordination. A beginning emphasis on musicality and rhythm is offered as well as the concept of moving creatively through space. Basic dance vocabulary and positions are learned through imagery. Interaction with classmates and the teacher is encouraged through fun dance games. Approximately 40 minutes of ballet and 20 minutes of tap. Dress code: Pink leotard, pink tights, pink leather ballet slippers and black mary jane tap shoes and hair in a bun.
- Level 1 Ballet and Tap (5-6yrs) - the first introduction to a more structured ballet class. More advanced stretching and strengthening exercises are given, barre work is introduced with a greater emphasis on vocabulary and French terminology. Musicality continues to be emphasized along with balance and coordination through the strengthening of the body core. Center work is introduced with continued focus on the positions of the arms, legs, and feet in classical ballet vocabulary. The introduction to a more refined tap technique with a focus on rhythm and the sounds of a tap step. Also, basic jazz steps are introduced as well. One hour and fifteen minute class. Dress code: orchid tank leotard, pink tights, pink leather ballet slippers and black mary-jane tap shoes with hair in a bun.
In our junior division, we provide a friendly, nurturing environment where each student can advance and grow. At this level, we emphasize classical training and proper classroom etiquette. Students will learn proper terminology, musicality, and technical skill while developing a love and appreciation for the art of dance. This division offers ballet, contemporary/jazz/modern, tap, conditioning, acro/tumbling and hip hop for ages 6 and over.
- Level 2 (6-8yrs) - A traditionally structured ballet class for one hour incorporating the next level in the classical ballet syllabus with extended work on barre and center technique. A half hour will follow with tap and jazz exercises and combinations to broaden musicality and reflex skills. Dress code: sky blue tank leotard, pink tights, pink canvas ballet slippers, black oxford lace-up tap shoes, black slip on jazz shoes, and hair in a bun.
- Level 3 (by placement only) - A one hour class of classical ballet that focuses on proper technique and terminology for barre, center, and across the floor work. Followed by a half hour of jazz/contemporary and a half hour of tap. Arco and tumbling are a fun addition to class when not concentrating on choreography. Dress code: jade tank leotard, pink tights, pink canvas ballet slippers, black lace up oxford tap shoes, black jazz slip on shoes and hair in a bun.
- Level 4 (by placement only) - building upon our classical foundations we are focusing on strengthening and preparing the dancer for all the rigors, proper body placement and poise for the introductory years before pointe work. Classes are an hour an a half ballet, forty-five minute modern class and half hour tap. Dress code: royal blue camisole leotard, pink tights, pink canvas ballet slippers, hair in a bun, black slip-on jazz boots, black lace up oxford tap shoes and bare feet for modern and acro.
- Level 5 (by placement only) - preparing for pointe work and the highest level of intermediate level training, dancers are now taking an hour and a half ballet technique, a half hour beginning pointe class, a forty-five minute modern technique, and a half hour tap class. Dress code: burgundy leotard, pink tights, pink canvas ballet slippers, black lace up tap shoes and hair in a bun.
In our senior division, we offer a variety of recreational classes as well as classes specifically designed to develop pre-professional, career oriented dancers. Selected dancers attend multiple ballet technique and pointe classes a week. In addition to their comprehensive class schedules, rehearsals, performances, master classes, and special events. Senior division students benefit from developing more personal relationships with their teachers who may offer professional guidance towards auditions, colleges, summer programs, scholarships, and career opportunities.
- Apprentice and Company (by placement only) - The most advanced level of training in the school curriculum. For ballet, modern, jazz, tap, improvisation - this level offers extremely challenging combinations, body strengthening, and demanding choreography. Classes offered are two hour ballet technique and pointe twice a week, one hour variations, one and a half hour modern/contemporary technique, one hour jazz, one hour Pilates, one hour tap and additions of hip hop, acro/tumbling and Turning Pointe Company. Dress code: Black leotards, pink tights on ballet days, pink canvas ballet slippers, pointe shoes and hair in bun. Black tights or biker shorts for modern and jazz, bare feet for modern and black slip-on jazz boots for jazz. Wrist and ankle weights, thera-bands and mats for conditioning.
- Teen/Adult Classes - Flexible class cards available for ages 18 and over) Whether you are a busy career person, mom or a college student, everyone needs and deserves a fun and creative workout catered just for them. DAC offers an hour and a half ballet technique for advanced, one hour ballet for beginner/intermediate level, one hour tap, and Power Pilates. Dress code: comfortable non-restrictive clothing, yoga-wear, leotards, sweats, etc.—all are acceptable. Pink canvas ballet slippers, tap shoes, jazz shoes or bare feet and mats for pilates.